These super-tasty and incredibly filling snacks are quick and easy to make are all-round pleasers; kids love them too. Ideal for an on-the-go breakfast or an afternoon snack.
- 300g (10 1/2 oz) dates, pitted
- 240ml (8fl oz/ 1 cup) warm water
- 120ml (4fl oz/1/2 cup) coconut oil, melted 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 500g (1lb 2 oz /5 3/4 cups) jumbo rolled oats
- 100g (3 1/2 oz/generous 1 cup) desiccated coconut (dry unsweetened coconut)
- 100g (3 1/2 oz/ 2/3 cup) raw sunflower seeds
- 100g (3 1/2 oz /generous 3/4 cup) raw pumpkin seeds
- 40g (1 1/2 oz/ 1/3 cup) raw hemp seeds
Line a baking tray (cookie sheet) with baking parchment and set aside. Soak the dates in the warm water for 20 minutes. Then whizz in a high-speed blender with the water to a smooth paste.
Melt the coconut oil in a heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water or in a bain marie. Pour the oil into the blender along with vanilla extract. Blend until smooth.
Put the oats, desiccated coconut (dry unsweetened coconut) sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds into a bowl, stir to mix and then divide the mixture in half. Pulse half the mixture in the food processor, just roughly, so you maintain some texture. Tip the pulsed mixture back into the bowl of the ‘whole’ mixture. Then pour the contents of the blender into the bowl and mix thoroughly so no dry ingredients remain.
Tip the mixture into the prepared baking tray (cookie sheet) and pat down so that it forms an even slab. Then scatter the hemp seeds over the top and press them into the slab. Refrigerate for two hours to set.
Remove from the fridge, cut into squares or rectangles and enjoy; these keep for a week in an airtight container in the fridge