Pear, Honey and Almond Cake
3 Pears (approx 350g grated with skins on using a large-hold grater)
100ml of honey or maple syrup
50ml of Rapeseed Oil or Olive Oil
1/2 tsp almond extract
225g ground almonds
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1/2 tsp fine salt
50g flaked almonds for the topping or more!
1. Preheat over to 160 degree C (Fan 140 degrees / Gas Mark 3)
Grease and line a 22cm round baking tin.
2. Separate the eggs into two bowls, beat the egg whites until they form stiff peaks and leave to one side.
3. To the yolks, add the honey or maple syrup, oil, almond extract and grated pears and mix well.
4. Now, add the rest of the dry ingredients and mix thoroughly.
5. Lastly, fold in the beaten egg whites
6. Pour into the greased and lined baking tin and sprinkle with the flaked almonds.
7. Bake for an hour. The cake should have shrunken away from the sides of the tin.